Wednesday, February 21, 2007

18-21

It is only to be expected that eventually the slaves would turn things around and a revolt would be spurred. Can you really be surprised at the grotesque nature of the revolt, I cannot. In comparison to the amount of oppression and hatred that had funneled through society negatively towards them it is not at all surprising that the events transpired in this fashion. Is it possible to really consider how else an extremely oppressed society would react when given the opportunity? There is so much hatred, anger and disgust. I can only imagine for those involved with the revolt that it was as if they were returning the white man’s favor.


In some sense I feel like a broken record but economics rules. If it does not have an economic implication then it might just as well not exist. I am not surprised by the effects of the revolt on society.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

I wrote in blog about the slave revolts also. I was not surprised at the types of images described by Hochschild but in comparrison to your reaction I was shocked that they revolted so horrifically when the movement was really taken off. Although they did eventually gain their freedom after a year of fighting, their actions set back the freedom of slaves around the world because all of England was terrified.

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home